TURKEY MEATLOAF BURGERS
SHARE THIS RECIPE!
© Paden Reich
I used to make meatloaf for my son, Wolfie, every Thursday night. While he was doing his homework, I could stand within eyesight of him because it took me awhile to mix and make the ingredients. It was a good routine, at least in my mind it was. I remember wanting to make a great burger that was healthier than a traditional ground beef burger, and on one of those Thursday nights while I was making my turkey meatloaf, I had an epiphany: I love my meatloaf, why not just make a turkey meatloaf burger?
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened and very lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat, and cool slightly.
2. Stir together the breadcrumbs, milk, parsley, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, egg, and 1/4 cup of the ketchup in a large bowl. Add the ground meat, and gently combine using your hands. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes.
3. Preheat the grill to medium (350°F to 450°F). Shape the meat mixture into 10 (about 1/4-pound) patties. Using your finger, make a slight indentation into the middle of each patty. (This helps to allow for plumping while the patty cooks on the grill.)
4. Stir together the mayonnaise, brown sugar, Sriracha, and remaining 1/4 cup ketchup in a small bowl.
5. Place the patties on oiled grates; grill, covered, until they are no longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side, arranging 1 slice of cheese on top of each patty during the last few minutes of grilling. Serve the patties in the ciabatta rolls each topped with 2 bacon halves, pickles, and dollops of the Sriracha mixture. Serve immediately.
You can use hot Italian sausage instead of sweet to amp up the heat.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1⁄2 cups diced sweet onion (about 2 onions)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
1⁄4 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 11⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1⁄2 cup ketchup
1 pound ground turkey
1 pound ground sweet turkey Italian sausage (casings removed if not using bulk)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 tablespoon Sriracha chili sauce
10 provolone cheese slices
10 ciabatta rolls, split
10 cooked bacon slices, halved Dill pickle chips
Hands on time