Sweet and Spicy Apricot BBQ Chicken Thighs
SHARE THIS RECIPE!
© The Food Network
Apricot BBQ Sauce
1. Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chile and garlic; cook an additional 2 minutes. Stir in the apricot jam; cook until the jam melts, 3 to 4 minutes more.
2. Pour in the orange juice and cider vinegar, bring to a simmer, and then add the ketchup, honey, Dijon and Worcestershire. Adjust the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened, 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
3. Transfer the sauce to a blender and puree until smooth. Add salt to taste. Remove 1 cup for basting the chicken; reserve the rest for serving.
For the chicken thighs
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl, stir together the smoked paprika, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
5. Place the chicken thighs on two foil-lined baking sheets. Lightly coat the thighs with canola oil and sprinkle liberally with the spice mixture on both sides.
6. Bake until the chicken is cooked through, 35 minutes. Turn the oven to broil. Baste the chicken with BBQ sauce and broil until the sauce has caramelized and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the chicken reads 160 degrees F, about 2 minutes. Remove to a platter, let rest for 5 minutes.
7. Sprinkle the chicken with parsley, and serve with the reserved BBQ sauce.
8. When blending hot liquid, first let it cool for five minutes or so, then transfer it to a blender, filling only halfway. Put the lid on, leaving one corner open. Cover the lid with a kitchen towel to catch splatters, and pulse until smooth.
Apricot BBQ Sauce
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion (1 small onion)
1 tablespoon minced Fresno chile, seeds removed (1 chile)
1 tablespoon minced garlic (4 cloves)
One 13-ounce jar apricot jam
1/2 cup fresh orange juice (1 large orange)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
16 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
8, 2 cups sauce
Hands on time
1 Hour, 35 Minutes